Back to All Events

NOAF Walking Tour: Historic Tax Credit Projects of the Lower Garden District

  • Il Mercato 1911 Magazine Street New Orleans, LA, 70130 United States (map)

Join us for a special Walking Tour highlighting three recent Lower Garden projects, all utilizing Historic Tax Credits to restore life into historic structures. We will hear from the design teams and clients of Il Mercato, Felicity Church, and the offices of Spackman Mossop Michaels. Each of these structures, originally constructed in 1932, 1888, and 1857 respectively, have been restored in the last five years. The tour will take guests into each of these historic structures to hear from the architects, design team and clients of each project. 

We know it's hot out there, so as our midsummer gift to our Friends, the event is FREE for "Friends of NOAF", $25 for general tickets and is open to the public. Only 35 spots are available. Registration is required.

More information on each project can be found below the map.

 The tour will begin in the square behind Il Mercato, in the triangle lot at the intersection of Sophie Wright Place and Magazine Street.

The tour will begin in the square behind Il Mercato, in the triangle lot at the intersection of Sophie Wright Place and Magazine Street.

STOP 1: Il Mercato
1911 Magazine St.

Built in the 1930s as a WPA project for the New Orleans Public Market System, the Magazine Market was a vibrant center of commerce in the Lower Garden District. The building is a masonry and steel construction with real wood members as secondary structural components, a stucco exterior finish, and red s-tile roof. Renovations to the structure occurred in the 1950s and 1960s after it was bought and used by a graphics company. Much of the outdoor space surrounding the building was enclosed and an addition was built on the north façade. In December of 2014, the project successfully maintained its Historic Tax Credit eligibility while enhancing the building’s new intended use of being modern event space.

Collaborators: NANO LLC, Vista Landscaping, Zehner and Associates, Inc, YKM Consulting, LLC, Cypress Building Conservation, Concordia Group LLC

For more information, click here.

 

STOP 2: Felicity Church
1220 Felicity St.

The first church on this site, the Steele Chapel, was built in 1850 and burned in 1887. The congregation enlisted the architects William C. Williams and Samuel Patton to design the current Gothic Revival building, formerly the Felicity United Methodist Church. It was closed and decommissioned in 2007 after Hurricane Katrina. The building suffered years of damage until it was sold in 2011. Structural renovations were accomplished during 2011-2015. In 2015, utilizing Federal and State Historic Preservation Tax Credits, the building was renovated into a flexible venue for a variety of functions, with the focus primarily on hosting wedding ceremonies and receptions. 

Collaborators: Coleman Partners Architects, Andre' Neff and Associates, Walter Zehner & Associates, Airpro Services, MCC Electric, LLC, Southern States Mechanical, LLC, Precept Construction, LLC

For more information, click here.

 

STOP 3: Offices of Spackman Mossop Michaels
1824 Sophie Wright Pl.

The two adjoining structures comprise the property at 1824 Sophie Wright Pl. and have been mixed-use throughout their entire existence. Originally constructed in 1857, the two structures were connected in 1879 by a second-floor balcony and projecting cornice. The second-floor balcony was demolished in 1940. The property had been cited for “Demolition by Neglect” from 2007 until 2015 when the current owners purchased the property and rehabilitated it with the help of Federal and State Historic Tax Credits.  It now houses a commercial office spanning across both structures’ second floors and a residential unit located in each of the structures’ ground floors. 

Collaborators: studio WTA, Spackman Mossop Michaels, Cli0 Associates

For more information, click here.